Monday, August 9, 2010

One of the perks

Health insurance, "inside access" and...organic vegetables?

It wasn't until recently I could add that last one to the list of perks I receive as a reporter for The Georgia Bulletin.

In last week's issue of the paper, we ran an article about the organic garden that was recently started at Marist School in Atlanta. I traveled to the school for an interview with Mike Burns, an English teacher and one of the moderators of the garden. After discussing the history of the project and showing us around that peaceful and serene setting, Mike offered to cut some fresh vegetables for me to take home. I gladly obliged.

Photo courtesy of the Marist School Garden Facebook page. See below for link.

That weekend I enjoyed fresh-steamed okra from the garden with a sautéed chicken breast and a salad topped with sliced cucumber and tomatoes, also from the garden. It was refreshing to have such noticeably fresh food! Quite an amazing sight to see the variety of vegetables, spices and flowers they have growing at Marist, and I can't wait to find out what they have planned next.

I sure hope we follow up with this story again soon!

Stephen, Staff Reporter

---

To read The Georgia Bulletin story, please click here. To keep up with the latest news and updates, visit the garden's Facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment